The Port of Heraklion and the Airport of Kastelli will be funded by the EU
580 mil euros will be given from the European Union to enforce 11 significant transport projects in Greece. Their implementation will be launched by the end of 2016.
This is the first part of the new funding from EU, available for transport, while the total amount reaches 26 bil euros.
The public transport works which will be funded by EU are:
- Sofia – Thessaloniki – Athens (railway axis). Funding for both the preparation of project planning and work.
- Thessaloniki, Igoumenitsa (ports). Upgrading and development of infrastructure, intermodal connections.
- Piraeus / Heraklion – Limassol (ports). Motorways, capacity of the port and intermodal connections.
- Port of Patras. Port interconnections, (further) development of intermodal transport systems.
- Railway axis Athens – Patras. Project planning, port interfaces.
- Klidi -Polykastro – Evzoni, road works (upgrade).
- Serres – Promahonas – Greek-Bulgarian border (road works in progress).
- Ioannina – Kakavia – Greek-Albanian border (project planning in road segment).
- Alexandroupolis – Kipoi – Greek-Turkish border (project planning and works on the roads).
- Egnatia Railway (project planning in progress).
- Heraklion – Kastelli. Design and construction, upgrading and development of infrastructure, intermodal connections.