Briton tourist in the ICU of Heraklion General Hospital. She inhaled laughing gas!

A young female tourist is hospitalized in critical condition in the Intensive Care Unit of the General Hospital of Heraklion.

The young Briton was transferred in coma on Tuesday in the Health Center of Malia and then to the hospital.

According to information, the woman inhaled laughing gas, after having some drinks in the bars of Malia, because it was her last “holiday” night on Crete!

Nitrous Oxide is the most popular in the UK out of all the countries in the world.

According to “Independent”, nitrous oxide – or laughing gas – is now the seventh most popular drug in the 50 countries surveyed. Just over half the UK respondents said they had tried the drug at some point, and 38 per cent said they had used it in the last year, making it more popular in the UK than any other country.

Nitrous oxide is a colourless, sweet tasting gas that has been used recreationally since the late 18th century, most notably by Sir Humphry Davy, former president of the Royal Society. Medical use was established in the early 20th century and nitrous oxide remains an important anaesthetic, tranquilliser and painkiller, used by dentists, obstetricians and sports doctors. Indeed, many members of the public will have experienced the effects of nitrous oxide themselves without realising it.

The popularity of recreational use of nitrous oxide is unsurprising. It’s legal in many parts of the world, it’s cheap and it reliably produces a short-lasting euphoria as well as heightened senses and a slight feeling of disconnect from the body and is often used as a drug at concerts, nightclubs and festivals.

And it can be combined with other drugs to alter the effects. Availability is affected by national laws but, generally, where the drug is available it is either dispensed from large canisters or small bulbs (“whippets”), into balloons, which is then used to inhale.

Because nitrous oxide has legitimate uses in the food industry (to make whipped cream or in home brewing), it can easily be bought from online retailers such as catering companies. However, according to the Global Drug Survey, people are increasingly using the darknet to buy it.

Nitrous oxide is considered to have relatively low toxicity. However, it can cause dizziness, so there’s a risk of harm from falling. There are also case reports of dependence in people – often medical professionals – who have access to large quantities of the drug.

Risks can vary, depending on how the drug is administered. Inhaling nitrous oxide directly from a pressurised canister can damage the lungs. And, although rare, a few people have died from asphyxiation after passing out while their mouth and nose are connected to a tube or surgical mask, or where a bag containing nitrous oxide has been placed over the head.

Most users inhale the drug from balloons or small bulbs, and the dose administered is low, so the risk of asphyxiation is almost nonexistent.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.