The Mirror’s best beaches in Crete
The Mirror — Crete continues to be a firm favourite with tourists looking for a sun-soaked beach getaway.
Not only does the Greek island boast lusciously hot temperatures during the summer months, but it’s home to some of the world’s most picturesque beaches.
There’s something for everyone too, whether you’re after a peaceful haven away from the crowds, a remote beach that can only be reached on foot, or somewhere vibrant with plenty of fun activities on for the kids.
However when it comes to finding the perfect beach for your holiday, the sheer amount of choice can be overwhelming.
The Mirror searched out the best beaches on the island from hidden gems to tourist hotspots.
1. Potamos Beach , Malia – “great for swimming – although some parts of its coastline are a bit rocky”
2. Balos Beach , Kissamos – “turquoise waters …. a must-visit for nature-lovers and the sporty – limited services on the beach”
3. Elafonissi Beach , Elafonissi – “fine white sands and turquoise waters – you’d be forgiven for thinking you’d ended up in the Caribbean”
4. Falassarna Beach , Chania – “One of Crete’s biggest beaches has everything you need for a brilliant beach break ” f
5. Matala Beach , Matala — “ ideal for the more adventurous holidaymakers thanks to the surrounding caves waiting to be explored – crystal clear waters that make it an ideal snorkeling spot”
6. Red Beach , Matala – ” eye-catching red sands and cliffs, there’s nothing ordinary about this beautiful beach -a nudist beach”
7. Frangokastello Beach , Sfakia “fine sand and crystalline waters – popular with families”
8. Vai Beach , Sitia – “Europe’s largest natural palm grove providing a breathtaking backdrop – a firm favourite with couples”