50 large-scale projects expected to be concluded in Greece during 2019
More than 50 major projects are about to be completed in the coming months of 2019 with some of these being very important and promising to change everyday lives, ypodomes.com reports.
- The “flagship” project is the conclusion of Tithorea-Domokos railway section which is expected in the next few days concluding the drawn-out construction works on Athens-Thessaloniki corridor.
- Within this year, the new double-track railway line will also operate between Kiato and Eghio, with a length of 71 km along with the single-track electrified line on Polykastro-Idomeni section, in Northern Greece.
- Another long-awaited project to be launched this year is the first half of Athens Metro Line 3 extension, from Aghia Marina to Nikea with 3 new stations (Aghia Varvara, Korydallos and Nikea). It is also reminded that by the summer of 2019, infrastructure works for Faliro Bay Restoration will be completed with the delivery of the new section of the relocated Poseidonos Avenue.
- Equally important is the expansion of the Tramway to Piraeus Port, which will be operational towards the end of the Summer, marking the first major expansion of the network since 2004.
- For Thessaloniki, 2019 will be an important year due to the completion of the unleveling works in the city’s Western Ring Road section.
- In Crete the operation of the road section between Aghia Varvara and Apomarma is expected
- Larissa’s Ring Road will be completed while the first 15 km of Amvrakia Motorway are also set to be released to traffic.
- Concerning the Railways, this year we expect the completion of infrastructure projects on Rododafni-Psathopyrgos section. Other road projects to be completed include Agrinio-Aghios Vlassis (Western Greece), Kalloni-Sigri (Lesvos island), Driopi-Galatas and Ardanio-Mandra (Evros-Northern Greece).
- 2019 will also be a milestone for Waste Treatment Plants as Epirus, Serres and Viotia’s units are expected to operate. Big building projects to be completed comprise the Hospitals of Chalkida, Lefkada, Veria, Heraklion Cultural Center, Kozani University Campus, Athens National Gallery and Asteras Vouliagmenis whtile the new investment cycle will be completed with the Smart Park.
- The “eternal” projects for the extension of Thessaloniki Airport’s runway 10-28 and the upgrade works in Kavala, Zakynthos and Chania airports are also scheduled to be finally completed.
- As far as port projects are concerned, Pier III construction works in Piraeus Port as well as works in the ports of Patra, Igoumenitsa, Sigri and Kavala are also expected to be completed. Undoubtedly it is going to be a great year for Athens International Airport “El. Venizelos” with the completion of the anticipated first “small-scale extension” of the Terminal.
- In the water supply and sewage infrastructure sector the following projects are expected: the operation of Peania Liquid Waste Treatment Unit, the completion of water supply works in Paxi Islands, Karditsa town in Thessaly and the important Asopos Dam and submerged Water Pipeline that will connect Eghina with the capital’s water supply network, solving once and for all the island’s water-related problems. Other important projects that will be completed are the 2nd central sewage pipeline in Thessaloniki and the district heating system in Florina.
- Finally, 2019 will be a year to remember for AEK fans as the construction of the football stadium in Nea Filadelfia, “Aghia Sofia”, will be completed providing the historic Greek soccer team with a new and modern home.