Deputy Minister for Civil Protection Nikos Hardalias visited the area in Piraeus port where the vessel “Eleftherios Venizelos” laid anchor earlier on Friday. The minister was briefed on the state of the passengers.
Τhose not infected with coronavirus left the ship on Friday afternoon and were sent to hotels in Attica, where they will remain in strict self-isolation for 14 days.
As he explained, among those who are infected and will remain on board the vessel are 65 Turkish nationals, 16 Ukrainians, 17 Indonesians, five Greeks, six Uzbeks, two Moldovans, two Cubans, one Bulgarian, two US nationals, one Kyrgyzstan national and one Belarussian.
All the infected individuals will remain on board the ship for the next days.
“We have made arrangements regarding their food supplies and healthcare. There will be a direct help desk at the National Public Health Organisation to give them instructions. in collaboration with the captain, and I think everything will go well. All those infected are in good shape. I want to make it clear that there is no problem and that most of them have no symptoms,” Hardalias said.
Any discussion about repatriating the seamen on the vessel will begin once the 14-day mandatory quarantine was over, he emphasised, noting that this issue would be handled by the foreign ministry. He also made it clear, however, that Greece will not bow to pressure to circumvent its protocol for the disease and repatriate them sooner.
“We are not playing and will make no shortcuts in matters of public health. This must be clear,” he said.