Nineteen Greek beaches that had been honored with the quality “Blue Flag” award in May were recently dropped from the 2017 list, the Hellenic Society for the Protection of Nature (EEPF) said on Monday.
According to EEPF, inspections revealed that coastal managers had failed to maintain the required cleanliness of the beaches, protect the environment and provide the necessary information, services and safety measures to bathers.
EEPF underlined that the bathing water quality of the beaches that lost their flags remains at an “excellent” level.
“The members of the National Crisis Committee and the Program Coordinating Committee have decided to withdraw the awards in order to preserve the prestige and credibility of the institution,” EEPF said.
The ‘Blue Flag’ award of the following coasts were revoked for 2017.
• Agiokampos Coast / Golden Beach – Agia, Larissa
• Elani Bay, Elani Bay Resort – Kassandra, Halkidiki
• Potamos Coast A – Hersonissos, Heraklio
• Vourlia Coast – Sitia, Lassithi
• N. Messagala Coast 3 – Tempi, Larissa
• Vlychada Coast – Lokron, Fthiotida
• Ierapetra II Coast – Ierapetra, Lassithi
• Voulisma Coast -Agios Nikolaos, Lassithi
• Agia Triada Coast – Thermaikos, Thessaloniki
• Myrtos Coast – Kefallonia town, Kefallinia
• Argasi Coast/Golden Beach – Zakynthos town, Zakynthos
• Laganas Coast/Central – Zakynthos town, Zakynthos
• Laganas Coast/Agios Sostis 2/Limanaki – Zakynthos town, Zakynthos
• Laganas Coast/Zante – Zakynthos town, Zakynthos
• Banana Coast – Zakynthos town, Zakynthos
• Agia Marina Coast – Egina, Attica
• Kamari 1 Coast – Thira, Santorini, Cyclades
• Kamari 2 Coast – Thira, Santorini, Cyclades
• Agios Giorgios Coast – Thira, Santorini, Cyclades
The “Blue Flag” is a voluntary eco-label awarded to beaches across the world and is run by the independent, non-profit organization Foundation for Environmental Education based in Copenhagen. The EEPF is the program’s coordinator for Greece.
A total of 486 beaches and 12 marinas were honored with the quality “Blue Flag” award in Greece for 2017.