Archaeological museum and site of Mycenae to reopen on Tuesday, says Culture Min Mendoni

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni told reporters on Monday that the archaeological museum and site of Mycenae will reopen to the public on Tuesday. 

She was speaking after her visit to Mycenae to inspect the damages of the fire that broke out there on Sunday. 

Earlier on Monday the ministry made known that the fire did not cause damage to the antiquities, and did not affect the archaeological museum, the main entrance to the archeological site, the main entrance to the Acropolis of Mycenae Lions Gate), the Tomb Circle A, the monuments on the northern slope of the Acropolis, and the Cyclopean Walls. 

The fire started from a nearby grassland, Mendoni elaborated, and due to a strong wind it went into the archeological site, “where the Ephorate of Antiquities of Argolida had done a very systematic deforestation, so there was no grass or bushes there to feed the fire,” she added. 

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.